To All The Moms I Snubbed Before

Monday, February 18th, 2008

I didn’t tell y’all, but I spent several days last week with my nieces and baby nephew in Houston. Their mother had to go out of town on business for 2 ½ days, which left the girls extremely distraught – wait a minute, let me rephrase that: which left my sister very distraught about missing her daughters’ Valentines Day parties at school. And then the baby… This would be her first night away from the baby and she was having major mommy mood-swings about all of this.

So I decided to step up and come to the rescue …

I mean, come on – how difficult could it be to get the girls on the school bus and off to school, play and kiss on that sweet baby, and go to a Valentines Day party? Piece of cake. Day-2 would simply be a replay of Thursday sans the V-day parties. Again, no problem…

Thursday morning actually got off without a hitch. Miss High Falutin’ (the kindergartner) had some trouble with the red bow in her hair, but we finally got it propped up and pinned in okay. Where’s super glue when you need it? The baby was just precious and really loved his new rice cereal with a little smidgen of apple juice in it, and Miss Bean (the 2nd grader) was a helpful big sister and kept us all on track.

I got myself to the school in plenty of time to sign in at Fort Knox and present my drivers license, social security card, passport, birth certificate, background check, and fingerprints…. What has happened in our schools? Keep in mind I have not been in an elementary school since I was a student in my own elementary school, but I recall the bell ringing in the morning and the doors flying open and everyone just running in with no method to it at all. At the end of the day the bell would ring, the doors once again would fly open and all the kids would pour out, some running to the school bus, some to their bikes, some to waiting cars, and others walked towards home… How times have changed.

Anyway, I very much enjoyed the girls’ parties. I will say I was actually nervous as I entered their classes. And not because I had been all but strip-searched in order to attend their parties, but because I didn't know what I was supposed to do when I got to their classes. Stand in the back of the class and keep quiet? Sit next to the girls? Help serve ice cream? I was thinking to myself, how can I be nervous going into a kindergarten class, but having to present business cases to high professionals or conduct training classes to my peers doesn’t phase me bit? What’s wrong with me?

We partied our little tails off and then headed back to the house to start on homework and eat dinner. Simple. Easy. No big deal. Well, except for the fact that I now had a 5- and 8-year-old on a major sugar high. Come to think of it, I must have been on a sugar-high, too. But hey, it was a holiday for goodness sake.

So maybe we ate dinner an hour and a half later than what they’re used to, and maybe I forgot to stick Miss High Falutin’ in the bathtub before she crashed on the couch, and maybe I got a little carried away feeding the baby his cereal that he just really loves, and maybe I added a little too much apple juice to it, but he just really likes it that way and he looks so cute eating it… And maybe time got away with me while playing Uno with Miss Bean and I kind of forgot that her bedtime sort of came and went. I mean – come on, who’s ever in bed before midnight anyway?

For the most part, I would call day-1 a success.

Day 2 started really early. For some reason Miss Bean just didn’t want to wake up. In fact, she was just down right grumpy. When I tried to wake up the Miss High Falutin’ I noticed that she didn’t look quite right; I felt her forehead and she was burning up!

How did it all go so wrong? I had a kindergartner with a big time fever, an 8-year-old refusing to wake up, and a baby with some really, really bad gas. And it was only 6:30 a.m.!

Being a mom is a hard, hard job.

And that’s all I have to say about that …

< Go Back

My Stories